Are you ready to take your career to new heights? At D-Orbit, we're pioneering the future of space logistics and transportation. Established in 2011, our company is leading the way in helping businesses profitably and sustainably unlock the full potential of the final frontier. As a member of our team, you'll have the opportunity to work alongside a diverse group of highly skilled individuals, all driven by a shared passion for innovation and excellence. Join us in our global mission to push the boundaries of what's possible and take your ambition to new heights. Apply now and join us in shaping the future of space.
D-Orbit is a market leader in the space logistics and transportation services industry with a track record of space-proven technologies and successful missions. Committed to helping companies profitably and sustainably maximize the opportunities to do business in space today and into the future, the company has developed proprietary space logistics technology and transportation solutions that will accelerate the growth and development of a trillion-dollar space economy, including human expansion into space.
ION Satellite Carrier, the company's core technology, is a space vehicle that can transport satellites in orbit and release them individually into distinct orbital slots; ION can also accommodate multiple third-party payloads like innovative technologies developed by startups, experiments from research entities, and instruments from traditional space companies requiring a test in orbit.
D-Orbit has offices in Italy, Portugal, UK, and the US; its commitment to pursuing business models that are profitable, friendly for the environment, and socially beneficial, led to D-Orbit becoming the first certified B-Corp space company in the world.
About this role
D-Orbit is hiring a Hardware Test Engineer to join the MAIT/AIV engineering team and lead the transition of hardware testing towards automatic testing, using commercially available systems or internally developed testing tools.
In addition, you will be responsible for all testing procedures and processes involving electronic boards and your objective is to ensure all hardware components and subsystems of the spacecraft successfully pass all verification steps before being installed into the satellite.
You will work shoulder-to-shoulder with D-Orbit's manufacturing and engineering teams to review, improve and automatize the current test procedures and you will support the quality department during the investigation of nonconformances.
Finally, you will also be in charge of the EGSE systems that interface with the satellite when performing ground operations. The responsibilities regarding this topic include the maintenance of the current fleet of EGSEs and the design of new EGSEs for various projects.
Tasks and responsibilities
· Design and maintain test procedures of electronic boards and complete spacecraft subsystems.
· Industrialize and automatize the testing of electronic boards and wiring by using Automatic Test Equipment.
· Design and maintain Automatic Test (ATE) Equipment based on:
o Commercially available solutions
o Internal ATE developed by D-Orbit or by a 3rd party.
· Supervise and support the D-Orbit manufacturing team on the testing of the electronic boards and spacecraft subsystems in the cleanroom.
· Support the quality team in the investigation and management of Nonconformances and non-nominal situations
· Maintain the fleet of EGSEs and design new ones.
· Propose changes in the design of the spacecrafts in order to ease integration, testing and operability (design-for-maintainability)
· Authoring of technical documents
· We are interested in speaking to people with a minimum of two years of experience working in hardware design and/or hardware testing and EGSE design.
· Knowledge and experience in hardware testing
· Knowledge in complex digital and power electronics design.
· Knowledge in Lithium-Ion batteries (battery properties, charge profiles, storage conditions, ...)
· Experience with data interfaces such as CAN, RS422/485, I2C, SPI.
· Hands-on experience with electronic laboratory equipment and tools (oscilloscope, power supply, electronic load, ...)
· Knowledge in RF testing and RF test equipment (Spectrum Analyzer, VNA).
· Proficient in working with Linux environments.
· Basic understanding of software coding.
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
· Proactive attitude and ability to work in a team.
· Knowledge in automatic testing and Automatic Test Equipment (ATE)
· Knowledge in spacecraft system engineering and system-level knowledge of all spacecraft subsystems is a strong asset.
· Design of PCBs using Altium Designer.
· Familiarity with relevant testing procedures and standards (e.g., ECSS).
· Knowledge in Python is a strong asset.
· Knowledge in FPGA programming
· Knowledge in eMMC memories
· University degree preferably in the fields of Electrical or Electronic Engineering, Telecommunications Engineering, Aerospace/Space Engineering or any other relevant engineering degree.
· This role requires professional proficiency in English.
· Fluency in Italian is a strong asset