D-Orbit is a market leader in the space logistics and transportation services industry with a track record of space-proven technologies and successful missions. Committed to helping companies profitably and sustainably maximize the opportunities to do business in space today and into the future, the company has developed proprietary space logistics technology and transportation solutions that will accelerate the growth and development of a trillion-dollar space economy, including human expansion into space.
ION Satellite Carrier, the company's core technology, is a space vehicle that can transport satellites in orbit and release them individually into distinct orbital slots; ION can also accommodate multiple third-party payloads like innovative technologies developed by startups, experiments from research entities, and instruments from traditional space companies requiring a test in orbit.
D-Orbit has offices in Italy, Portugal, UK, and the US; its commitment to pursuing business models that are profitable, friendly for the environment, and socially beneficial, led to D-Orbit becoming the first certified B-Corp space company in the world.
FLEET is the D-Orbit branch in charge for managing the ION Satellite Carrier missions. As the amount of flights is continuously increasing, the number of customers interested in D-Orbit services is exponentially growing up. For this reason, D-Orbit is hiring a Associate Fleet Software Engineer in the FLEET team.
D-Orbit is looking for an Associate Fleet Software Engineer to join our Fleet Engineering team. You will become part of a dynamic growing group responsible for supporting the delivery of satellite missions. You will work in a team with the aim to support the software integration of space instruments and tools within our ION Satellite Carriers fleet, development of specific flight software features, and development of new tools/applications as well as defining new processes to support flight software deployment for all satellites.
Through these activities and by working in a team with the key stakeholders in the development process you will deliver exciting new features and directly support on-going spacecraft operations.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Contributing to the continuous improvement of team processes and methodologies through development of new tools and applications.
- Support integration and verification activities between hosted payloads and spacecrafts.
- Support technical discussions with customers to identify needs and perform requirements breakdown.
- Validation of features including integration with hardware-in-the-loop test suites.
- Identify new strategies for flight software configuration and maintenance.
- Identify the requirements for satellite management tools and guide their development either inside the team or with the support of external partner.
- Be the direct interface with Product Development team for software related topic.
- Be the direct interface with Fleet Engineering to prioritize activities.
Qualifications and Requirements
We are looking for individuals with the following skills:
- Resilience and ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work hard in a team setting to meet tight schedules.
- Ability to communicate technical concepts clearly and effectively.
- 1 - 2 years' experience in relevant software development activities.
- Familiarity with using any Linux based distribution and appreciation of application development on Windows and Linux.
- Knowledge of the most common coding languages. (e.g. Python, C, C++, etc.)
- Capability of working autonomously.
- Complimentary experience and or skills to the above will be considered.
Nice to have skills
- Experience with software development sprint management
- Experience with software development time/cost estimations
- Familiarity with typical software development methodologies and release versioning processes. (e.g. Git/Mercurial and CI/CD pipelines)
- Knowledge of any typical embedded communication interfaces such as USART, SPI, I2C, CAN, Ethernet, EtherCAT
Bachelor's degree in any relevant area such as aerospace engineering, electronic engineering, computer science or automation, software development, with proven experience in participating in project development.
Full professional proficiency of English language is mandatory.