D-Orbit is a market leader in the space logistics and transportation services industry with a track record of space-proven technologies and successful missions. Committed to helping companies profitably and sustainably maximize the opportunities to do business in space today and into the future, the company has developed proprietary space logistics technology and transportation solutions that will accelerate the growth and development of a trillion-dollar space economy, including human expansion into space.
ION Satellite Carrier, the company's core technology, is a space vehicle that can transport satellites in orbit and release them individually into distinct orbital slots; ION can also accommodate multiple third-party payloads like innovative technologies developed by startups, experiments from research entities, and instruments from traditional space companies requiring a test in orbit.
D-Orbit has offices in Italy, Portugal, UK, and the US; its commitment to pursuing business models that are profitable, friendly for the environment, and socially beneficial, led to D-Orbit becoming the first certified B-Corp space company in the world.
FLEET is the D-Orbit branch in charge for managing the ION Satellite Carrier missions. As the amount of flights is continuously increasing, the number of customers interested in D-Orbit services is exponentially growing up. For this reason, D-Orbit is hiring a mechanical engineer in the FLEET team.
As part of the FLEET STR team you will be involved in the configuration and customization of already flight-qualified platforms providing safe and simple access to space to microsatellites, nanosatellites and hosted payloads. Guided by a customer-oriented approach, you will be responsible for designing the optimal way to integrate customer needs on the existing platforms.
Your personal contribution will be fundamental to accomplish the mission from the early customer acquisition phase to physical payload integration on the system you designed. Your main goals will be:
Tasks and responsibilities
- support on-boarding process of customer payloads
- design customized interfaces
- support mechanical integration
- coordinate mechanical activity at mission level
- Complete fit check analysis
- Design of mechanical components
- Model, perform, and evaluate static, modal, and dynamic FEA on payloads' standard and custom mechanical interfaces
- Draft production-ready 2D drawings
- Define operative procedures to assembly and integrate mechanical components
- Coordinate the structure team involved in a mission
- Create and maintain the CAD model of the satellite for a specific mission
- Define the optimal payload configuration for a mission, ensuring the coexistence of payloads structural requirements
- Predict and evaluate the impact of on-boarding/disembarking one or more payloads from a mission
- Provide preliminary structural assessments on structure compatibility between payload and platform
- Define and evaluate satellites' mass properties as per AOCS requirements
- Draft mission technical documents
- Give support to vibrational test campaigns
- Support to Non-Conformance Reports
- Experience in CAD software (knowledge of PTC Creo is a plus)
- Experience in structural analysis (knowledge of MSC environment is a plus)
- Experience in PLM software (knowledge of Teamcenter is a plus)
- Strong interest in Mechanics and Mechanical part design
- Proactive attitude and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work in a team and individually
- Knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- 2-3 year of experience in mechanical design related activities
- Customer-oriented philosophy;
- Strong interest in space and space applications
- University degree preferably in the fields of Aeronautical and Mechanical Engineering
- This role requires professional proficiency in English
- Italian is a plus