As a Flight Dynamics Engineer you will contribute to the design, development, verification, roll out and maintenance of the flight operations tools that allow D-Orbit to keep their fleets of Carriers, Reconnaissance and Servicing Vessels achieving their mission objectives.
In this context, you will be expected to have consolidated bases in Flight Dynamics topics – such as orbit and attitude dynamics modelling, propagation and determination, manoeuvres planning and optimisation, etc. - or to proactively learn and make proficient of topics within the Flight Dynamics realm with less expertise, with the aim to translate this knowledge into software applications that will implement the D-Orbit flight operation tools. You will also be expected to have strong basis in coding of software application, as well a methodical attitude ensuring task completion within the given deadlines, and satisfying the required standards of organisation and precision.
Additionally, as part of D-Orbit's Flight Dynamics and Operations Development Team you may be expected to contribute in any of the three pillars of the team: Flight dynamics simulators and operational tools, Mission operations development and Mission analysis studies. To achieve this vision, you will closely collaborate with D-Orbit's Flight Software, Ground Software, Systems Engineering and Flight Operations teams in all phases of a space mission ranging from early conception and definition down to spacecraft decommissioning operations.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Implementation of Flight Dynamics functionalities, such as orbital propagation, determination and events detection, manoeuvres planning and optimisation, attitude guidance generation, etc.
- Testing of the implemented functionalities, from unit-test level to validation & integration testing
- Interfacing with satellite system teams, to agree on best strategies to model satellite components or sub-systems for Flight Dynamics applications development
- Interfacing with software teams, to make best use of tools and infrastructure provided for Flight Dynamics software development
- Interfacing with operations team, to identify any operational requirement/constraint to take into account in Flight Dynamics applications development and setup
- Setup and maintenance of Flight Dynamics operational tools and simulators
- Support in the definition and verification of operational sequences and flight operational procedures
- Authoring of Technical documents
- At least 2 years of working experience in spaceflight dynamics or related fields, as manoeuvres planning / trajectory optimisation, satellite navigation, GNC, etc.;
- Strong knowledge of Orbital and Attitude Dynamics;
- Knowledge of object oriented programming (preferably, Java and/or C++);
- Knowledge of scripting languages (e.g. Python) and flight dynamics libraries/tools (preferably, Orekit);
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Methodological and proactive attitude
- Ability to work in team and individually;
- Satellite navigation knowledge;
- System Engineering knowledge and/or experience;
- Experience in spaceflight operations;
- Advanced University degree (Master's degree or equivalent) preferably in Aerospace/Space Engineering;
- Full professional proficiency in the English language is mandatory.